Today's Coffee Talk On Hypertension HBP and Caffeine
Coffee and Skin Cancer
CNN Report | Is there a relationship between drinking coffee and skin cancer? Scientist appear to think so, but caution that drinking too much coffee will not be a wise and healthy habit. As you know, caffeine and coffee may easily become addicting substances if taking too much. Coffee may keep you awake at night, and sleep is most important for your health.
Coffee Heals | Increasingly, research has been discovering numerous deadly illness that can have reduced risks of contraction when making coffee a part of the daily ritual. Besides basal cell carcinoma, type 2 diabetes and Parkinson's are all cited.
Homeopathy | As a homeopath, I'm considering 'coffea' as a possible remedy for all these disease and many more conditions where the body is over stimulated, unable to sleep, restless with insomnia, exhaustion and excessive hunger.
Today's Coffee Talk High Blood Pressure
First off, I must tell you that even though I love ice-cream, it's a rarity in our home. Probably all this 'Coffee Talk' has given me a craven' for the bean. Trader Joe's has an out of this world taste to die for, if you can stick to one small cup for dessert.
Today's current events deals with the issue of coffee and high blood pressure. This caffeinated topic rises and lowers year by year. We find the meta-analysis quite in vogue and the media eat it all up. This type of approach provides conclusions based upon the cumulative analysis of a common problem across numerous individual study findings.
High Blood Pressure Hypothesis
Over the years, hypothesis concerning the relationship of hypertension or High blood pressure has been linked to heart disease, stroke, and even life span, with concern of coffee as a contributory factor.
The most recent analysis of six studies that included a total of over 170,000 people negates the connection. However, we must look closer at those conclusions.
Questionnaires set out to learn how many cups of coffee each person had per day for up to 33 years, and compare that to health outcomes. The number of cups varied from 1-5 or more each day.
More than 1 in 5 persons developed high blood pressure. [The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition] People who drank between 1 to 3 cups per day had a slightly higher risk of high blood pressure than those who drank less.
We do know that caffeine has addictive properties and the more coffee, or tea for that matter, that a person drinks per day will effect the nervous system.
Dr Chen made a clairvoyant statement regarding the effects of coffee on individuals, rather than making generalizations across the board to all cultural groups, ages, sex or individuals. Drinking coffee may effect person's differently. Some may be more or less sensitive, in the same way some people can handle their alcoholic drinks, while others cannot at all.
Media Reports No Risk to High Blood Pressure
The conclusions bother me the most about all these reports, because in essence, they are inconclusive. Yet, we shall all receive the same message on every news channel, " drinking coffee does not seem to increase the risk of high blood pressure."
Now, what about you, as an individual, with a life-time medical history of arterial disease, or fit as a fiddle? Taking medications to keep hypertension under control or eating anything you like and doing marathons?
The answer to this question on everyone's mind relates to the fact that an increasing portion of the population drink more coffee, including physicians and other professionals who want a lift to stay awake during long demanding hours.
Coffee may be a luxurious pleasure, but as a form of self medication, it can be considered a drug. In fact, the antioxidants and alkaloids have many properties that change body chemistry.
MSN | Healthy Heart Report
Caffeine Stimulation Short Lasting
Dr Craig Weber answered in 2007 the question, "Does Caffeine Increase Blood Pressure?"
He explains that the study of caffeine in drinks such as coffee and tea have been extensively studied over the course of many years. Stimulants keep a person awake, even to the point of racing heart and anxiety when taken in too large a quantity. Because coffee can stimulate the system, it is flushed out quickly, as everyone knows they must evacuate shortly after taking a cup.
Trembling, Insomnia, Racing, Palpitations, Anxiety All Indicate Physical Effects
The problem, I feel, that these hypothesis must be evaluated closely with actual experience. When persons become addicted to this stimulant they do get horrible headache. How much of the active components are taken with each cup of coffee, this must depend upon the brand and strength brewed.
Another study examined more than 85,000 women over a ten-year period and found that there was no increased risk of heart disease, even in women who drank more than six cups of coffee per day.
The Joint National Committee on Hypertension has specifically stated that there is no evidence linking coffee/tea and high blood pressure.
On the contrary, results of the study showed that in about 15 percent of people with existing high blood pressure, drinking a caffeinated beverage actually caused a decrease in blood pressure.
But, then again, you will have people tell you their personal story of heart and hypertensive symptoms when drinking coffee, while others report no effect. This could be part of the experience for those who take in a small amount and have the greatest symptoms. Thus, again, showing the variance in the sensitivity of each person. We cannot simply make a blanket statement or generalization.
- However, for developing fetus, there may be an increase in miscarriage and risk of ADHD.
- High Blood Pressure
- In addition, there are correlations between caffeine and stroke.
We must also take into account the cumulative effect of drinking coffee over decades and a lifetime. Does the body make certain adjustments?
Most studies show a short term elevation immediately after drinking coffee. What would you expect after taking a stimulant?
Another study from 1998 at Duke University Medical Center, indicates that caffeine raises levels of adrenalin, related to stress during everyday work activities.
- Duke University Medical Center (1998, May 29). Duke Researchers Finds That Moderate Caffeine Use Boosts Blood Pressure, Potential
The speculation how coffee drinking can effect the body, specifically heart disease, hypertension and high blood pressure shows that we do not have any definitive answers.
Still, people will continue to drink coffee for the taste, aroma, pleasure, the buzz, the pick-me-up and many other reasons.
Your Response To Media Reports
Will New Reports on Coffea and High Blood Pressure Change Your Drinking Habits?See results without voting
- As a drug, caffeine can cause a short, dramatic increases in your blood pressure
- Caffeine in 2-3cups of coffee can raise systolic pressure (the top number in your blood pressure reading) 3 to 14 millimeters of merury (mm Hg).
- Caffeine in 2-3 cups of coffee may raise diastolic pressure (the bottom number) 4 to 13 mm Hg.
- What about taking into account the use of sugar, cream, milk or artificial sweeteners?
- We do not actually know the mechanisms of what and how the blood pressure rises. The number of potential factors involved may be complex.
Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D. gives conservative advice and questions:
- Caffeine could block a hormone that helps keep your arteries widened.
- Possibly caffeine causes your adrenal gland to release more adrenaline, which causes your blood pressure to increase.
- Some people who regularly drink caffeine have a higher average blood pressure than do those who drink none.
- Others who regularly drink caffeinated beverages develop a tolerance to it. As a result, caffeine doesn't have a long-term effect on their blood pressure.
- It's best for most people who already have high blood pressure to limit the amount of caffeine they drink, or stop drinking caffeinated beverages.
- Limit caffeine to 200 milligrams a day to be on safe side. Two 12-ounce cups of brewed coffee.
- Keep in mind that the amount of caffeine in coffee and soft drinks varies by brand.
- Avoid caffeine right before activities that naturally increase your blood pressure, such as exercise, weightlifting or hard physical labor.
Do a personal stress test. Nothing beats a measured test on the self.
- Check your blood pressure within 30 minutes of drinking a cup of coffee or any caffeinated beverage you regularly consume.
- If your blood pressure increases by five to 10 points, you may be sensitive to the blood pressure raising effects of caffeine. I
- Method of Withdrawal | If you plan to reduce your intake of caffeine, do so gradually over several days to a week to avoid withdrawal headaches.
SOURCE: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, online March 30, 2011.
A Homeopathic Perspective
Homeopathy, the most scientific medical model, uses observation as its source of data. Over the course of centuries, documentation of the effects of coffea, both unroasted and roasted have been recorded. When reading the indications for each organ of the body, we realize that the natural plant, which contains drug substances, effects every part of the body, not just the heart. We must take this into consideration.
- Stimulates the functional activity of all organs, increasing the nervous and vascular activity. The drinking of coffee by the aged is likely to increase production of uric acid, causing irritation of kidneys; muscle and joint pains, and with the increased susceptibility of old people to the stimulating action of coffee and tea, their use should be curtailed or carefully watched. Great nervous agitation and restlessness. Extreme sensitiveness characterizes this remedy. Neuralgia in various parts; always with great nervous excitability and intolerance of pain, driving to despair. Unusual activity of mind and body. Bad effects of sudden emotions, surprises, joy, etc. Nervous palpitation. Coffea is specially suited to tall, lean, stooping persons with dark complexions, temperament choleric and sanguine. Skin hypersensitive.
- Mind Symptoms show the stimulation to mental activity and emotions | Gaiety, easy comprehension, irritability, excited; senses acute. Impressionable, especially to pleasurable impressions. Full of ideas, quick to act. Tossing about in anguish (Acon).
- Head Pain | Tight pain, worse from noise, smell, narcotics. Sensations of the person feeling the pain as if brain were torn to pieces, as if nail were driven in head. Worse in open air. Sensitive hearing.
- Face | Dry heat, with red cheeks. Prosopalgia extending to molar teeth, ears, forehead, and scalp.
- Mouth | Toothache; temporarily relieved by holding ice-water in the mouth. Hasty eating and drinking. Delicate taste.
- Stomach | Excessive hunger. Intolerance of tight clothing. After wine and liquor.
- Female | Menses too early and long lasting. Dysmenorrhea, large clots of black blood. Hypersensitive vulva and vagina. Voluptuous itching.
- Sleep | Wakeful; on a constant move. Sleeps till 3 am, after which only dozing. Wakes with a start, sleep disturbed by dreams. Sleepless, on account mental activity; flow of ideas, with nervous excitability. Disturbed by itching of anus.
- Respiratory | Short, dry cough of measles in nervous, delicate children.
- Heart | Violent irregular palpitation especially after excessive joy or surprise. Rapid high tension pulse and urinary suppression.
- Extremities | Crural neuralgia; worse, motion, afternoon and night; better, by pressure.
Modalities | Worse, excessive emotions (joy), narcotics, strong odors, noise, open air, cold, night. Better, warmth, from lying down; holding ice in mouth.
- Relationship Incompatible: Camph; Coccul. Complementary: Acon.
DD Means Differential Diagnosis
When a homeopath takes a patient case, the many symptoms may have similarities with other remedies. The work of the homeopath to research these similars and also differences to determine the best choice selection that fits the case.
Compare the above indications for unroasted COFFEA to the Roasted Coffea tosta
(Roasting develops certain vitamin-like substances (P. T. Mattei).
Pigeons which have developed "deficiency" neuritis and paralysis on diet of polished rice lost their disabilities on the addition of 8 cc to a 5 % infusion of coffee to their food. Whilte, unroasted coffee had no effects.
Actions of the crystalline alkaloid Caffeine, which is found in varied amounts in coffee:
- A direct heart stimulant and diuretic.
- Dropsy depending on cardiac insufficiency.
- Myocardial degeneration.
- Cardiac insufficiency in pneumonia and other infectious diseases.
- Raises the blood pressure, increases pulse rate and stimulates the heart muscle; hence, a support in extreme feebleness or threatened failure.
- Stimulates the respiratory center, nerve centers and increases diuresis.
- One of the best stimulants of the vaso-motor centers.
- Acute pulmonary edema.
- Brachialgia and other neuralgias characterized by nocturnal exacerbations.
- Jousset uses equal parts of caffeine and sachar lac. 3 grains taken in divided doses every other day. Hypodermically, 1/4 grain.
- Excruciating facial neuralgia from decayed teeth; Acon; Cham; Nux; Cyp;
- Caffeine and plants containing it, as Kola, Thea, etc.
- Strong black coffee, drunk as hot as possible, is indispensable as an antidote in a large number of poisons, especially narcotics.
- Hot coffee by rectum in cases of extreme collapse. Antidotes: Nux; Tabac.
Last updated on July 2, 2012
You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this article up or down.
- Homeopathy Medicine and Weight Loss with Homeopathic...
Another holistic tool for successful weight loss program. #Homeopathy
- Vietnam Raises The Bar On Coffee Production
Lately, I have been doing some research about coffee. I thought sharing these facts might interest the community. The environmentally friendly mode of coffee growing under the canopy of shade trees has been...
- Today's Coffee Talk On Hypertension HBP and Caffeine
What do we know about heart disease and coffee drinking?
- Ethnobotanist In Search Of New Australian Coffee Spe...
Ethnobotanist may chance upon a new species or they may be on a hunting expedition. In their scientific study of traditional, cultural, medicinal and even religious knowledge and customs of populations and...
- Coffee Can Be Like Wine
Coffee may be a habit on the rise with benefits. Even France finds increase in gourmet roast.
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM founded Homeopathy World Community social network. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
- If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now.